Monday, July 23, 2012

Backpacking Bettie's Book Of The Month Club: The Last Season-Initial Thoughts

I am so happy to see I have over 200 page views and 5 followers within 24 hours of starting my blog. Yippy! Welcome all! 

The Last SeasonBefore I move on to my next post I wanted to tell you all about a new book I started today: The Last Season, by Eric Blehm. This book details the life and mysterious disappearance of seasoned 28-year Sierra Wilderness Ranger, Randy Morgenson. I was referred to this book by my husband after finishing The Cactus Eaters (review coming soon!). He told me I wouldn't be able to put it down and he was right! I have only finished the first three chapters while riding a stationary bike at the gym today, but I can already tell I will tear through it. 

My initial thoughts on the book:

1) This book is a must read for any nature lover. I can tell that from the first chapter.

2) I wish I was Randy Morgenson. He got to grow up in Yosemite in the 50s! So not fair!  He got to live in the homes I have always coveted at the base of a meadow with a view of Half Dome out the kitchen window. He got to play cowboys and indians in Curry Village with pellet guns and bow and arrows. He got to build his first car (a 1932 Ford B 5 window coupe) in Yosemite Valley

3) I still wish I was Randy Morgenson. I am depressed that I am not Randy Morgenson and that is not my life. I am to assume that he is dead, but it seems like a small price to pay for such an adventure-filled life. We all have to go, and this way doesn't seem so bad! 

So far, I would say I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I love it and at the same time it depresses me. I will update you when I am farther along. 

-Dollie The Backpacking Bettie

***Just now updating this, as I read it many years ago now***
 
Final thoughts on the book:
 
This was my favorite book I have ever read in this genre. It was heart renching. I loved the suspensful ending! The ending really takes you by surprise. I highly recommed this book!
 
-Backpacking Bettie

2 comments:

  1. Have you read, "Into Thin Air"? It's about the 1996 Mount Everest disaster. Its a fairly short read, but I couldn't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..I've wanted to read "Into Thin Air." I'm not usually interested in mountaineering but Krakauer is a good author and everyone says that book is great. "Into the Wild" is another one if his that's one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!